Inquisition of Yorgo Alexopoulos, multimediartist
What do you get when you mix equal parts multimedia artist, cutting edge visual effects supervisor, digital animator, fierce atheist, amateur astronomer, wannabe quantuum physicist, and wormtongued mythologizer, all in the form of an Athens + New York City based Greek demi-god? Shaken and stirred, you wind up with Yorgo Alexopoulos. Best known for his innovative use of new media and technology, Yorgo has made a name for himself both in the television+film industry and the Contemporary art world. While exhibiting his art all over the United States including New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, this creative dynamo has also manned the motion graphics controls behind many highly acclaimed films including Nova’s “The Elegant Universe” and “Planet B-Boy”. His work on “The Kid Stays in the Picture” about legendary Hollywood producer Bob Evans landed Yorgo at the Sundance Film Festival. His work has taken him to that important festival twice since. He says his art work “proposes and constantly reinvents a visual vocabulary influenced by astronomical images, religious iconography, scientific diagrams and mythological symbolism.” He is a graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and he lives and works in a studio above a psychic palm reader’s office in NYC’s Garment District. His roomate is an evil, jet-black cat named Snuffler who will cuddle with you one second and then try to slice out your eyeball the next. You can check out samples of Yorgo’s videos, films and other art work at www.yorgoalexopoulos.com. This inquisition was conducted via mental telepathy over a five nanosecond period in July 2009.
1. If you could be any kind of global superstar other than a visual artist, what kind would you want to be? (ie. baseball player, rock star, serial killer, politician…)
2. Which historical epoch would you most like to have participated in? (ie. ancient Rome, revolutionary France, 1960s counterculture…)
Library of Alexandria.
3. If given a choice for your next life, do you want to be a man or a woman? ( as with all these questions, answering “why?” is optional)
4. Which 3 visual artists had the greatest influence on your career and work?
William Blake, Chesley Bonestell, and Jean-Michel Basquiat.
5. Which 3 musicians’ music most closely resembles a soundtrack to your life?
Woody Guthrie, Iron Maiden, and the Curb your Enthusiasm theme song.
6. If you could change one significant aspect of your talent, what would that be?
More patience. I’d finish everything I start.
7. Assuming cost is no obstacle, which 3 cities would you most prefer to live in?
New York City, Los Angeles, then Tokyo – in that order.
8. Imagine you are driving on an open, gently curving highway with a guarantee of no police, no other drivers, and perfect weather conditions. What kind of car would you want to drive and how fast would you go?
Aston Martin Rapide, as fast as possible.
9. Which current global calamity would you fix with one all-powerful wish? (ie. global warming, HIV/AIDS, starvation, …)
10. If you were given $250,000 to spend on a new wardrobe by a single designer/brand, which would you choose?
I’d never waste $250,000 on clothing.
11. Do you believe the United States of America is getting better or worse?
I believe in the United States of America. Things are getting better.
12. Which museum would you most want to host your first post-mortem career survey?
The Museum of Jurassic Technology, Los Angeles, CA.
13. What is your favorite film of all-time?
2001: A Space Odyssey.
14. What is your favorite restaurant in the world? (name the City too)
Dos Burritos on Hollywood Blvd. In Los Angeles.
15. If you could live as one historical figure for one week, who would it be? (feel free to describe which week if relevant)
Neil Armstrong – Week of July 20, 1969. What bigger thrill is there than being the first person to step on the moon and come back alive?
16. What job would you least like to do for 40 hours a week until retirement?
Executioner on death row in Texas.
17. What superpower would you find most useful? (flying, invisibility, indestructible… Feel free to answer why)
18. Which adjective do you think best describes Hugh Hefner?
19. Have you ever been in a fist fight in which blood was spilled? (feel free to offer a brief description)
20. Do you get road rage?
No. I’ve learned to stay calm on the road.
21. Do you inhale?
22. Do you have any phobias? (feel free to explain which)
Anything involving height: airplanes, skydiving, bungee jumping… Also hornets and any other flying insects that sting.
23. Do you think it is better to ask for permission or beg for forgiveness?
Ask for permission.
24. If you were forced to spend one full year in solitary confinement in a small cell, what color would you want the walls to be?
25. Do you believe in reincarnation?
Yes and No. No to the Buddhist ideas of reincarnation. I do believe that all the matter and atoms that make up our bodies are redistributed into the universe after we die. That said, what we are made of has always been in existence and always will.
26. Do you know anyone living today with whom you’d happily trade lives? Who?
27. Apple or PC?
28. Who is more important: Bono or Oprah?
They are both “important” – but Oprah is more powerful and has a more immediate impact over the masses- they will follow her like cattle.
29. Do you think it is better to be exceptionally intelligent with average charm or exceptionally charming with average intelligence?
I’d go with being exceptionally intelligent with average charm. (Like in baseball, though it is flashier to be a big-time hitter, pitching always beats hitting in the long run.)
30. If you could be any living persons pet for one week who’s would that be?
Bo: Barak Obama’s dog.
31. If you could solve one of the great mysteries humanity has never been able to figure out, which would it be?
The Nazca Lines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines)
32. If invited to travel on the next NASA space shuttle mission would you go knowing that statistically there is a 2.52% chance that you would die (126 missions so far, 2 disasters)?
33. If you could pick, which animal would you choose to live your next life as?